You’ve got about 3 months until Christmas! If you (like me) are considering some hand-made Christmas gifts this year, here’s a list of free projects / tutorials you might consider, sorted by type. If I’ve made something from the tutorial, it is marked with * Any pictures included here are my finished projects.
Purses, Bags & Totes:
Small / Easy / Few Supplies:
- Dresden Plate Handbag. Made from scraps & super-cute!
- Friendship Bag. I started this, but never finished.
- Phoebe Bag (PDF)
- *Buttercup Bag – really cute & simple.
- *Directions to make a larger Buttercup Bag.
- Grab Bag – I made this & really didn’t like it. I gave it away.
- * Simple Six Pocket Bag – I made this and it was just OK. I gave it away. Wasn’t practical for me.
- Easy knit produce bag. Made from an old t-shirt.
- Wallet to Tote On the Go. Has 2 zippers, so probably is not a pattern for beginners.
- Boutique Shopper. Made with a layer cake.
- Roll Up Shopping Bag
Large / Many Supplies Needed:
- Diana Hobo.
- Pleated Tote. (PDF)
- Weekender Travel Tote. (PDF)
- Recessed Zipper Shoulder Bag.
- Blossom Handbag (PDF) – Advanced, definitely
- Olivia Bag – looks pretty easy
- *Pleated Purse – I made this, but didn’t love it
Typical Tote Bags:
- Pedicure Kit
- Makeup Brush Carrier
- Arm Band Pouch
- * Scrappy Loyalty Card Wallet - goes together fairly easily
- Laptop Bag
Wallets, Clutches & Wristlets:
- *Wristlet - Started this one, but didn’t like how the inside was un-finished
- Easy Peasy Snap Wallet
- Credit Card Wallet
- Clutch Purse with Antique Pin Closure
- End of Summer Wristlet
- Patchwork Wristlet
- Scrappy Clutch
- * All You Need Bag (tiny wallet, really) – I attempted to make this. The pattern was not good, IMO.
- * A Purse Thingy – I also attempted this, and didn’t have much success. But, it’s cute.
- Mini Fabric Wallet
- * Reversible Mini Purse Pattern – I wouldn’t call this a “purse” – it’s way too small. But, I like that it has an easy velcro closure. I use it to hold thread in my sewing room. It could also be good for a child or as a gift-wrapping.
- * Zipper Pouch – easy. Great for beginners, even those who are scared of zippers
- * Lined Zipper Pouch – also good for beginners.
- * Zippered Pouch
- Pleated Pouch
- Lil Zipper Bag
- Patchwork Pencil Pouch
- Pencil Bag
- One Hour Pencil Pouch (PDF)
- Makeup Bag
- Cosmetic Bag
- Scrappy Make Up Pouch
- * Little Boxy Pouch - there are tons of tutorials for pouches about like this. They’re fairly easy for beginners.
- * Cosmetic Bag – another boxy pouch. I did not like the finished shape of this one at all. Basically just entirely the wrong size to actually use.
- * Patchyapple Boxy Bag – same comments as previous.
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/beckylaswell/4141448373/in/set-72157604100995015* Makeup Bag Tutorial – really cute, easy pattern, goes together well, multiple sizes to choose from
- Flat Bottom Zippered Pouch
Other Purse Accessories:
Kids & Babies:
- Felt Crinkly Baby Toy
- Take Along Car Carrier / Mat
- Gone Fishin’ (magnet game – cute!)
- Panda Bear Plushie (three dimensional)
- Counting Bean Bags
- Notebook & Pencil Holder
- * Crayon Wallet (not a roll-up) – the one I made wasn’t exactly similar, but this did inspire a Buzz Lightyear Marker & Paper wallet I made for a friend’s little boy.
- Small Crayon Tote
- * Pencil Roll – BY FAR the best such tutorial I’ve tried (and I’ve tried many). The pencils lay neatly inside! The only thing I didn’t like was the button closure.
(Can you tell I often get invited to showers?!?!)
- Fabric Diaper Case - I started making this for a friend, but did not finish, since I wasn’t sure anybody would go to the trouble of putting a wipes package back into a fabric case. Seems cute but overly complicated to carry around.
- * Baby Crinkle Square – I’ve made a few of these, and moms always rave about them. (this photo shows the crinkle square and other items that I don’t have patterns for)
- Burp Cloths & Bib Set
- Diaper Clutch
- Pottery Barn Kids Style Changing Pad
- Baby Changing Pad (with vinyl)
- Easy Swaddle Blanket
- Bapron (Baby Apron)
- Baby Headband (from t-shirts)
- Diaper Covers - I can’t really imagine making these, but found the link once after being invited to a shower for a friend who was going this route
- Maternity Band – friends tell me these things are awesome, but honestly, it would have to be a *really* close friend before I’d give this as a gift.
- * Nursing Cover – I altered the pattern a bit, but it turned out well
- Taggie Binkie Clip
- Bottle Holder
- Simple Reversible Car Seat Strap Covers
Mug Rugs / Trivets / Potholders:
Pillows & Pillowcases:
- Box Pleat Pillows
- Scrappy Appliqued Pillow
- Silk Color Block Pillows
- Tree Pillow
- Charming Windows Pillow – LOVE this! Will make it eventually!
- Cathedral Window Pillow – just about the same as above. Wonder which came first.
- Ruffled Rosette Pillow (t-shirt)
- Pleated Pillow
- * Gathered Pillow
- * Felt lattice Pillow - really simple design, not that hard, makes a good statement
- Felt circles pillow
- That’s the Ticket Pillow
- DIY Sham-Style Pillowcase
- Pretty Quick Pillowcase
- Easy Pillowcase
- YoYo Pillow
- Gathered Muslin Pillow
- Herringbone Pattern Pillow
- Relaxing Neck Pillow
- Pintuck Pillow
- Side-Tie Pillow
- * Lucid Outlines Pillow – I made it, and it’s cute, but not sturdy enough for me.
- Frayed Edge Euro Shams
- Personalized Pillows
- * Valentine Pillow – I used this idea with the one above, with this printable PDF (which I made myself – from Philippians 4:8)
- Felt Circle Pillow – streamlined & modern. May have to try it.
- Ruffle Pillow
- Felt Rosettes Pillow
- Sunburst Pillow
- (technique) Put a zipper in a pillowcase
- (technique) Add piping to a pillow
Random Gift Ideas:
- Coffee Cozy
- Coffee Cozies
- * Luggage Handle Strap - I made this & love it! Helps identify our black suitcases.
- Camera Strap Cover – There are a gazillion tutorials for things like this, as well, such as this Custom Camera Slipcover
- The Bookkeeper (for Kindle/etc.)
- * Doggie Bag Dispenser. This was inspiration for a doggie bag holder I made for my aunt, which I’m not sure turned out. But, I don’t have a dog – so I’m not a great person to know what this is supposed to do. :)
- Flower Brooch
- * iPod Nano Pouch – easy